GorillaCam

Shortly after starting at JOBY as an intern, I was presented with the opportunity to redesign their aging iPhone app, GorillaCam, from the ground-up.

The project presented many possibilities for improvement and experimentation. With a 'sky's the limit' mentality, I jumped right in. Fortunately I had been a user of the earlier versions of GorillaCam before working at JOBY. This familiarity made my understanding of the userbase and community easier.

With the app's features and guidelines outlined, I began wireframing the app. I was able to quickly test out the early wireframes within the team. Once the wireframes hit a certain point of completion, I tested them out on coworkers.

GorillaCam mockups built in Balsamiq

GorillaCam mockups built in Balsamiq

For early testing, I utilized the method of paper prototyping the app at-scale. A script guided the users throught the app through a series of prompts. Notes were taken on each step of the process, then a post-test interview gave further feedback.

With the feedback from testing, some minor rework was made to the layout of the app. Some quick testing validated these changes, then it was time to move into UI styling. Logos were finalized for each of the modes and a general theme was decided upon.

Progression of the camera UI.

Progression of the camera UI.

As the designs shaped up and neared development, I recognized the necessity for some sort of organization. As a result, I built out a style/asset bank guide to keep everybody on the same page. As the developers began to assimilate the designs, some small tweaks in the design were required. Changes were made and respective assets were updated in the guide.

The GorillaCam styleguide.

The GorillaCam styleguide.

It was around this time that Apple released the iPhone 5, with it's taller screen. Unfortunately, the app was designed and built to utilize only one screen size (at two resolutions) as there were never any plans to port this app to other devices. Due to budget constraints on the project, the decision was made to skip a rework of the menus and layout.